What should I do if I have paid all taxes for the A.Y. 2014-15 before 31st March 2016 but not filled the return before 31st March 2016?
In this case, as per some CA experts “you can file a belated return under section 139 (4) with interest”. But as per some experts, “belated return under section 139 (4) can’t be filed now because time limit has expired”. So the option is either login to the e-filing website or visit your AO (Assessing Officer).
If a person who is required to furnish a return of his income, as required under sub-section (1) of section 139 or by the provisions to that sub-section, fails to furnish such return before the end of the relevant assessment year, the AO (Assessing Officer) may direct that such person shall pay, by way of penalty, a sum of five thousand rupees (Rs. 5000).
Income Tax Compliance Module
In this Compliance section, it might display that ITR has not been received for Assessment Year 2014-15. You need to fill the reason for non-filing of Income Tax Return and declare the net total income. Also, mention the tax amount paid in the remarks column. The step by step process is as follows.
- Login to the e-Filing website incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- There you have to login with User ID, Password, DOB (Date of Birth) / Date of Incorporation and Captcha.
- Go to Compliance Module and click on “Submit Compliance Form”.
- Enter the required details of Paper filed or e-Filed returns if Income Tax Return has been filed under ‘Filing of Income Tax Return’ tab.
- You have to enter the remarks if the IT Return has not been filed.
- Enter the required details under ‘Related Information Summary’ tab.
- Click on ‘Submit’ button.
- On successful validation, the success message will be displayed on the screen.
The above Option 1 shows the online process. Option 2 is the offline process. You have to visit your Assessing Officer (AO). There you have to issue the notice under section 142 (1). In response to that notice, you can then file an Income Tax return.
Notice under Section 142 (1)
This section 142 (1) provides that the department may make necessary enquiries before completing assessment.