How to Surrender your PAN Card?
As per Income Tax Law, an assessee can not hold more than one PAN Card. Any taxpayer holding more than one PAN card is a criminal offence as per the Income Tax Act, and we do not know the circumstances that may have led to a duplicate card. If he is holding more tan one card, then the taxpayer will be imposed a penalty of Rs. 10,000/- under section 272B of the Income-tax Act, 1961. So the assessee should immediately apply for surrender of additional PAN numbers allotted to him. The complete procedure for Cancel or Surrender of Duplicate PAN is as below.
The Assessee can apply for surrender of PAN card by 2 ways:
- The Manual Process of Cancellation.
- Online System of Cancellation.
- If an Assessee wants to cancel or surrender his PAN, then visit the local Income Tax AO (Assessing Officer).
- After visiting the office write a letter to the AO by filling details like your name, contact details, PAN card details to be retained and details of the PAN card that has to be surrendered.
- Keep the receipt or acknowledgment of the application as a proof of surrender of duplicate PAN.
- The assessee can also fill the Form no. 49 for Correction/Cancel in Correction in PAN and submit the form at the nearest NSDL TIN Facilitation centers or UTI PAN centers.
- Visit the site Income Tax Sparsh for surrendering the PAN online.
- In the site click on the option 3 as shown below for cancellation of PAN.
- Fill all your basic details like Name, Last Name, Contact Number, DOB and father’s Name in the application form given below.
- After filling all your details then click on ‘Submit’.
- Take a print of the filled copy for future reference.
Online PAN CARD Verification
Online Permanent Account Number Verification helps the Assessee to verify the PAN. This is also known as ‘PAN Verification‘ or ‘Know Your PAN‘.
Option – I:
- Visit Incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and click on PAN button.
- Enter the details of the PAN holder like Date of Incorporation/DOB and Name, First Name, Surname.
- Enter the Captcha code and then click on submit.
- If the details are correct then if the status, i.e., whether active or not will also be displayed.
Option – II: Bulk PAN Verification
- Register as a Bulk PAN Verification Agency at the web site Incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Go to Bulk PAN Query and then click on Upload Query.
- Upload the query in the specified format and click on submit.
- On submission, a token number will be generated.
- Status of the PAN uploaded through the query system will be displayed.
Option – III: Online PAN Verification
- For more Information visit the website of NSDL that is https://www.tin-nsdl.com/ or UTIITSL that is https://www.myutiitsl.com/pan_dcs/login.jsp may be referred to.
For PAN Card Status and Documents Required click on the links below