Many of us wanks to know the TDS return status after filing the return through online. Here you can get the direct link to know the eTDS return status. Read the complete article to know the process of TDS e-filing, TDS payment, forms required, etc.
TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) is the tax amount that is deducted from salary by the Deductor or Employer. In short, persons who are making payments are required to deduct tax at source at prescribed rates. Instead of receiving tax from you on your income at a later date, the Indian government wants the payers to deduct tax and deposit it with the government beforehand.
What is eTDS Return?
As per Section 206 of Income Tax Act 1961, all government and corporate deductors are required to file their TDS return compulsorily through online (i.e. e-TDS returns). However, for other Deductors, e-TDS return filing is optional.
TDS Return is required to be filed by the taxpayer who has deducted the TDS (Tax Deducted at Source). You are required to file TDS Return after specified intervals. The details that are to be furnished in these returns include fields like TDS Payment, TAN Number, the amount deducted, PAN Number, type of payment, etc.
As per Section 206, the e-TDS/TCS return is to be filed compulsorily by the following class of assesses.
- All Corporate Deductors/Collectors.
- All Government Deductors/Collectors.
- Where the Deductor/Collector is required to get his accounts audited under section 44AB in the immediately preceding (before) FY (financial year).
- Where the number of Deductees/Collectees records in a quarterly statement for one-quarter of the immediately preceding (before) FY is equal to or more than 20.
How to file e-TDS return?
TDS Return Filing through Offline:
- For filing the TDS return offline, you need to submit returns at any of the TIN Facilitation Centre’s managed by NSDL.
- You can find TIN facilitation centres at some specified locations across India. To know the TIN facilitation centres Click Here. Choose the desired state and location and click on submit.
Filing TDS Return Online:
- For e-TDS return filing, you can directly visit the NSDL TIN website.
- The assessee who opts to file TDS return online needs to sign the return through his Digital Signature.
- At the time of submission of the eTDS return, a provisional receipt or token number would be given to you, if your return is complete in all aspects. This provisional receipt is an acknowledgement that is given for the fact that the return has been filed.
- If your return is incomplete or in case your return is not accepted, then a non-acceptance memo would be issued to you stating the reasons for the rejection.
Check TDS Return Status Online
You can track TDS return status online using your TAN number and Provisional Receipt Number/Token Number. The procedure is as follows.
- Visit the online portal of TIN NSDL onlineservices.tin.egov-nsdl.com or Click on the direct link given below.
- Enter the TAN number and Provisional Receipt Number in the required fields as shown below.
- The TAN Number is mandatory for the persons who are required to collect or deduct tax on payments they made.
- A provisional receipt is an acknowledgement which is given at the time of submission of the eTDS return. In that there will be the token number which is required to check the e-TDS Return Status.
- After giving the required details click on ‘View Status’.
- Thus, you can check Status of TCS/TDS Statements through online.
Also know how to check the TDS Refund Status Online
What is the Penalty for Late Filing of TDS?
With effect from 1st July 2012, as per Section 234E, if you haven’t filed the TDS Return Online before the due date you shall be liable to pay a penalty. The penalty is of Rs. 200 per day till the time the default continues. However, the total penalty that is calculated at the rate of Rs. 200 per day should not exceed the total amount of tax deducted.
What happens if we haven’t filed e-TDS return?
If you have failed to file the TDS Return within 1 year from the due date of filing of return or if you have delivered any incorrect information, then also you shall be liable to pay a penalty. The penalty will not be less than Rs. 10,000 and not more than Rs. 1,00,000.
Must Read: Check how to make TDS Payment