Know all about Service Tax Assessee Code Structure in different cases. You can make Assessee Verification directly from this page. Once check the process and other important details from this article before verifying.
Why did Service Tax Verification require?
Service Tax Verification Code helps to determine the genuineness of the body whom we are paying the service tax. We took some services from persons who provide the service which we required. But to know that whether the Service Tax Number Provided or mentioned on the bill is genuine, we have an online system to verify the Service Tax Assessee Code Online.
This Service Tax Verification facility is given by CBEC (Central Bord of Excise and Customs), and it enables to get the Basic Details regarding Service Tax Registration of Taxpayer. To get service tax registration details of the assessee, you just need to enter the Service tax assessee number in the available box. While making payment of any bill that includes “Service Tax” element, it is necessary to check the Service Tax Number mentioned on the Invoice through online with CBEC records. This facility will help you save your funds, and it may also help to find that if any fraud is going to be done by wrongly collecting service tax.
Service Tax Number Structure
The Service Tax Code Number is a 15 Digit Code and Based on the PAN Number.
- The first 10 characters are same as PAN Number.
- 11 & 12 digits are “ST” in all service tax codes (In some cases “SD” is also used).
- 13 to 15 is a serial Number for service tax number allotted against a PAN number.
If you have applied for one service tax assessee number against a PAN (Permanent Account Number), then your service tax number will PAN+ST+001. So if you have a PAN number of the firm then check service tax assessee number as below.
1. In case of Central Excise (major account head 0038) assessee code to be digitized as:
- 1-10 digits: 10-digit PAN number
- 11-12 digits: XM
- 13-15 digits: ZZZ
2. In case of Service Tax (major account head 0044) assessee code to be digitized as:
- 1-10 digits: 10-digit PAN/TAN Number
- 11-12 digits: ST
- 13-15 digits: ZZZ
3. In case the taxpayer is unable to provide a valid location code, then the location code may be digitized as:
- 1-2 digits: any Commissionerate Code associated with the bank branch
- 3-6 digits: ZZZZ
Service Tax Assessee Verification Process
This Service Tax Number verification process is an easy process which can be done in two steps. The verification can be done through online just by sitting at home. It just requires the 15 digit Assessee Code. Follow the below process to complete the Service Tax Verification.
- Visit the online portal of CBEC (Central Bord of Excise and Customs). The page appears as shown below.
- On the top menu, you can find “Assessee Code Based Search”. Click on that then the below page appears.
- Here in the Assessee Code box, enter the 15-digit Assessee Number.
- Next, enter the text in the shown captcha and click on ‘Get Details’.
- You can see details like name, location code, address as present in the Assessee Master provided by Central Bord of Excise and Customs.
- You can view only the details of Assessee codes allotted for Central Excise and Service Tax (i.e. Non-assessee code or Registration Number).