Learn the essentials of TIN (Tax Identification Number) and how to get TIN number. Read the complete article to know who has to obtain TIN, How to apply for TIN, Documents required to apply, TIN Search, etc.
What is TIN Number?
Tax Identification Number (TIN) is a unique number allotted to business enterprises for tracking their transactions by Commercial tax department of respective State. TIN is an eleven digit number to be mentioned in all VAT transactions and correspondence. The TIN number is used to identify dealers registered under Value Added Tax. The first 2 digits of T.I.N indicate the issued state code. The set-up of other 9 digits of T.I.N may differ by state governments. Tax Identification Number is applied for both sales done between two or more states or within a state. Like PAN, T.I.N is also being used to identify dealers, to the identification of assesses under IT Act.
Who has to Obtain TIN?
TIN registration is mandatory for Traders/Manufacturer/Exporters/Dealers. A TIN number is issued to the business, not an individual. All state commercial tax department of India has a stipulation to provide a new TIN to existing Traders/Manufacturer/Dealers/Exporters to replace their old CST number/registration.
So, there is no difference in TIN/VAT/CST because only one number is needed for all type of sales you made. When TIN is used for intrastate sales then it is called as VAT number. In some cases, i.e., when it requires the same TIN is being considered as CST number.
How to apply for TIN Number?
You can apply for Taxpayer Identification Number through Online or Offline. The Online process is easy than the offline process. You can apply for TIN number without visiting the office to submit an application to Government Department. For this, you have to visit the website of the sales tax department of your respective state.
- For online, visit the official site www.tin-nsdl.com. For the location of the nearest IN-Facilitation Centres Cum PAN Centres Click Here.
- For offline, download the application form attached: TIN Application Form
Documents required for TIN number
The documents required for applying TIN number are as follows.
- ID Proof/Address proof/PAN card of the proprietor with 4 to 6 number of photographs.
- Address proof of Business premises.
- 1st Sale/Purchase Invoice, copy of LR/GR & payment/collection proof with the bank statement.
How to verify TIN or CST number?
This field covers how to verify T.I.N or CST number using TIN Search or CST Search.
You can verify TIN or CST number of the dealer registered under CST Act online on www.tinxsys.com.
- Visit www.tinxsys.com.
- On homepage, click on the Dealer Search hyperlink.
- In Dealer Search Criteria you can Search by T.I.N or Search by CST.
- On dealer search page click on the ‘Search By TIN’.
- Enter TIN number you wish to verify in the text box provided as shown in below figure.
- If entered T.I.N is a valid number, then the details of the dealer having that T.I.N will be displayed.
- If entered T.I.N is not a valid number, then an error message will be displayed showing that ‘Invalid TIN has been entered’.
Search by CST
Instead of TIN search, you can also use the CST search. The procedure is as follows.
- On dealer search page click on the ‘Search By CST’.
- In CST search box, select the State name and enter CST number.
- If entered CST is a valid number, then the details of the dealer having that CST will be displayed.
- If entered CST is not a valid number, then an error message will be displayed showing that ‘Invalid CST has been entered’.