How to Cancel PAN Card through Online?
You can cancel PAN Card only if you are allotted with an extra PAN card by mistake or if you intentionally applied for more than one PAN card. Multiple PAN Cards may have been allotted for many reasons. He/She may have applied multiple times for allotment of PAN card or may have accidentally allowed multiple PAN cards by Income Tax Department, NSDL or UTI. If you have more than one PAN card, a penalty of Rs. 10,000/- is liable to be imposed on you under Section 272B of the Income-tax Act, 1961. So, to avoid that, PAN Card cancellation/surrender is required. You can cancel PAN card through Online or Offline (i.e. Manually).
PAN Cancellation through Offline
- For PAN Card cancellation through offline you need to visit local Income Tax AO (Assessing Officer).
- There you need to submit the request letter to cancel or surrender your PAN stating that you are surrendering your additional PAN.
- The letter must contain the details like your Name, contact details, details of the PAN card to be retained (i.e. the PAN card that you want to hold), details of the duplicate PAN card (s) which you require to surrender/cancel, etc.
- Keep the copy of an acknowledgement of the letter that you have filed with the Income Tax department.
- That copy is sufficient as proof of cancellation/surrender. No additional confirmation from the Income Tax authorities is required.
- No need to check PAN Card cancellation status or wait for an intimation from the IT department considering that the PAN submitted to you has now been cancelled by them.
This method helps you to cancel/surrender PAN card manually.
Online PAN Card Cancellation Procedure
- For PAN Card Cancellation through online visit http://incometax.sparshindia.com/pan/newPAN.asp.
- Here you can find the ‘Online PAN Card Cancellation Form’ which gives the facility to Cancel PAN card/surrender the Duplicate PAN Card(s).
- You need to enter your Name, Contact details, Date of Birth, details of PAN to be retained, details of Duplicate PAN Card(s) to be surrendered.
- You can also cancel the PAN card online through UTI PAN centres or NSDL TIN Facilitation centres by filing an application “change in PAN data”. In application fill Spare/Duplicate PAN number in the Last row of the Form.